Monday, April 21, 2014

R is for Roseanne and Reading Rainbow

I have a deep love for the show Roseanne. There was no pretence about it. They were the first real sit com family to show what real working class American families were like, and how funny they could be. Of course, without this show, we would have no Big Bang Theory since about every character has been on the newer show (I'm honestly surprised that Roseanne Barr hasn't showed up yet.)

When I first came back to Florida after being in England for over a year, my first priority was to watch these episodes on Nick at Night again. Unfortunately, they were only running the later episodes, after the famed lotto win episode. It just went sour and weird around that time. I did enjoy seeing AbFab make an appearance in one episode though. Still, very strange.

Regardless of that, I have a box set of Season 1, and I still have fond memories of watching this in my apartment in Florida late into the evening. It's like an old, trusted friend. It never fails to make you feel better. One of the best shows on television, hands down.



Reading Rainbow is just a staple in our childhood that can't be denied. I'm so happy that they gave us a show like this devoted to books and reading. I also thank Jimmy Fallon for doing the best rendition of the theme (in the spirit of Jim Morrison.)



80s and 90s TV show honorable mentions: Rags to Riches, The Ropers, he Real World, Riki Lake Show, Road to Avonlea (which I still need to watch in its entirety.)

No comments:

Post a Comment