Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Working and blogging

Centre for Life in Newcastle

It’s another cloudy day here in jolly-old England but the Summer is still trying to make an impression. Yesterday it was chilly to me – 13C/55F – but that didn’t mean the sun didn’t show up before noon to warm things up again. It really was a good day to go to the pool but since I’ve been running around each day, I decided to stay at home after my driving lesson. I’m getting accustomed to roundabouts and am a little more comfortable with the stick shift of the car. I can at least stop and go a little better now but making turns is still tricky.

So, as I mentioned last time, I was totally planning on working on JuNoWriMo. After vacation, then the teaching agency registrations, I really haven’t been at home to catch up as I’d like to. Granted, I’m happy to not be at home as much as I use to be, but still. I’m going to have to work on my own as I was doing before. After tomorrow these teaching agency interviews should be finished so I can get back to being productive at my desk (not that the blog isn’t another version of my productivity.)

Each teaching agency has wanted specifics about where I’ve been for three years, which is such a pain for the last few people that I worked for – I have to use them as references every time. Even jobs directly through schools for library jobs, they will ask to contact my references before I even show up. I had to apologize to everyone on my contact list because I can only imagine how much a nuisance this all is to them with three page forms to fill out and such.

I’m going to have six teaching agencies to potentially call me next school year. I hadn’t worked a day for the first agency I signed up with last year so I thought signing up with a couple new ones would help. But after I started applying for all these job listings, I got a ton of calls. I thought signing up with a bunch was going a bit overboard, but after reading TES forums I found out that I’m probably giving myself a way better chance of finding good, consistent work. If I have 3 out of the 6 calling me each week, then I’ll have a somewhat decent weekly income. Plus, the experience is going to help so much. I think the tricky part is that even though I am qualified to teach in England now, I’m still “new” because I haven’t worked in the schools (except for that 3.5 hours I helped out with the exams.) If a Headmaster isn’t interested in anyone without experience coming in for a day or a week, let alone a year, then there’s nothing I can do about it. I just have to keep my fingers crossed that these agencies I’ve talked to (some of them seem so on top of things are really professional) can get me consistent work.

As you can see, I like to write long blog posts. It’s what I do. I also like to write posts when I’m out and about. With my blog here, I get it all fixed up with Live Writer, use a medium sized photo from Flickr, and then cross post to Wordpress, Tumblr, Posterous, and TypePad (all sites I used when I first started this site and I kept them because, heck, they’re free.) I also set up my link sharing on Twitter (which I honestly just like sharing my posts and do not, by any means, try to over-do the self promotion in any way.) Then I have my nice, organized, well-oiled blogging machine.

But since I like writing in coffee shops and when we’re out exploring a place again, I wanted to be able to share a little update on my phone. Of course the Blogger app is just okay, the Wordpress app is better, but for quick and easy updates that won’t mess up my precious, organizational flow, I chose to make Missus P. Mobile. In my last post, I mentioned another site but I had to move it because I didn’t like having something as a sub-blog. I couldn’t just follow anyone for that blog specifically, which was a big pain (why, Tumblr, why do you do that? Is it a spam filter thing or what?)

So that’s that. I’m off to my afternoon appointment to register with teaching agency #5. Tomorrow morning should be the last one. I’m going to reward myself with a nice swim Thursday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment