Friday, April 6, 2012

F is for Ferris Bueller and Fried Green Tomatoes

There are a handful of Fs that I can add for Culture Month, including Frasier, which isn’t a movie but it was darn good television, just as is Flight of the Conchords. Also, there’s Flight of the Navigator that goes along similar lines of E.T. with the cute kid befriending a space alien (but this alien I have seen with my own eyes at Hollywood Studios!) But I limited this, again, to the two of my ultimate favourites that should be seen by students at least once.

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off: I have loved this movie since I first saw it as a kid and I always will. This was released in 1986 so by that time I was around 10 years old and thinking Ferris Bueller was the hippest, coolest kid in high school. Who wouldn’t want to take the day off just to enjoy life instead of being in a childish and stupid institution like high school (Amen, Mr. Bueller.) The thing is, I doubt most students have seen this movie and if they had, they wouldn’t understand how funny it is to see Ferris wiggle his way out of running around Chicago and not getting caught by Mr. Rooney. These days we have home-schooling and complete lack of fear for administrators (not everywhere but in a lot of schools) so the situation may not be as impactful as it would in the 80s. However, the fun of it, the great dialogue, the basic story, the awesome acting of our buddy, Matthew Broderick and Jennifer Gray make this one of the best teenage films ever made. (By the way, I know this movie is full of good quotes but I have to pick just one of the goodies.)

Ferris: Oh, I'm sorry. I can't come to the door right now. I'm afraid that in my weakened condition, I could take a nasty spill down the stairs and subject myself to further school absences. You can reach my parents at their places of business. Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your concern for my well-being. Have a nice day!

Fried Green Tomatoes: Yes, this is a chick flick and no I don’t expect everyone to love it. However, I do think that female students should see this because of the themes of friendship and family. Idgie Thredgoode is a strong female character. Granted, she’s flawed but she doesn’t let anyone tell her how to treat the ones she loves – even if it means murder! However, Ruth the sweet, female protagonist who does the right thing but is still subjected to the harshness of living in Alabama during The Depression. The reason why women love this movie so much is the dialect and the Southern setting. Even though it’s on cable a lot, and I see it every time it’s on, I doubt most students have bothered watching it. It’s too bad too, because, again, this one would make girls see how life was in the 20s-30s and if they think things are that much different than they are now. What kinds of things would they be willing to do to protect their friends and family? Plus, in the story-line with Evelyn and Ninny, there is a lot of similar issues that are brought up such as age discrimination, women’s identify, empowerment and sense of worth. The acting is superb and it’s a funny story of troubled ladies. What’s not to like?

Ruth: I can understand having a funeral for an arm, I just don't know WHY she insists on calling him Stump.
Sipsey: Miss Idgie says everybody else will be calling him that, we might as well be the first.

2 comments:

  1. Sigh.
    Ferris is one of my all time faves! I cracked up when I saw the car commercial at the superbowl that dragged all these awesome memories back to the forefront.

    EVERYONE should see this movie. It should be required. LOL It's one of those movies that anyone 7-77 will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right. The movie is great for everyone. I forgot to mention that ad - I wonder if there were people who saw that and didn't get it. :-/

      Delete