Monday, April 30, 2012

Z is for Zoolander

 

Zoolander: Unlike some of my other choices, the only Z I could think of was actually one I would have picked anyway, had there been a bunch of other Zs. This is one of my favourite comedies because Ben Stiller does such a fine job of making fun of the ridiculous fashion and model industry. Plus, he and Owen Wilson as perfect male fashion models is as funny as Will Ferrell being a fashion designer who wants to eliminate the Prime Minister of Malaysia. (How does he get Derek Zoolander to do such a task? By brainwashing him to the tune of Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s “Relax,” of course!) So, yes, it’s ridiculous and Derek is so stupid and funny that you can’t help but love the idiotic things he says. Besides, wouldn’t you at least want to see a “walk-off” judged by David Bowie? And “The Derek Zoolander Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too” is just hilarious, especially the part with the little model of the school that confuses Derek. “What is this a school for ants?” I even remember referencing this movie when I first started working at the library and seeing how tough it was just on my hands to put all the DVDs back in order. It reminded me of Derek saying he’d gotten The Black Lung like his family of coal miners and his dad said, “Derek, you've been down there one day. Talk to me in thirty years.” See, the message is universal!

From this post I also learned two things about the film: First, Brett Easton Ellis claimed this was stolen from his book Glamorama, which I only read the very beginning, otherwise I would have caught that too. and secondly, there’s going to be a Zoolander 2! Hooray!

So watch it, it’s funny.

Derek Zoolander: Well I guess it all started the first time I went through the second grade. I caught my reflection in a spoon while I was eating my cereal, and I remember thinking "wow, you're ridiculously good looking, maybe you could do that for a career."
Matilda: Do what for a career?
Derek Zoolander: Be professionally good looking.

Yay! I made it to the end of Culture Month. Hope you enjoyed the tour as much as I did. Thanks for reading my A-Z April Blog Challenge of movie reviews. I appreciate all the comments and new followers. I’m following back so I can keep up with everyone who’s been painstakingly working on their lists for next year as well, I’m sure.

6 comments:

  1. Blue Steele!
    I love this film too. Stiller is just amazing in it and my fave scene is when he and his housemates do the hose dance at the petrol station which is forever immortalised by the fountain at his Derek Zoolander Institute. Pure class. And congratulations for making it to the end. I gave up very early on.
    Nxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yes, that part cracks me up too. Thanks so much -- I think planning my list and picking a relatively easy theme helped a lot. But, this has been cutting in to my reading time so I'm glad to not have the everyday blog post pressure for a bit.

      Delete
  2. "I think I have the black lung, pop."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this movie and can't wait for the sequel to come out. They're making Anchorman 2 also. Too much bliss; I might explode!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I'm so glad some decent comedy will come out soon. Very exciting.

      Delete